The castle is an excellent example of Gothic architecture. Its construction began in the 14th century, at the order of Grand Duke Kęstutis. It was continued by his son, Vytautas the Great in 1409. He died in the castle in 1430, without being crowned as King of Lithuania.
In the 17th century, the castle was seriously damaged and was not reconstructed again, falling into disrepair.
The first attempts to restore the now ruined Trakai castle were made at the end of the 19th century. Since 1962 the castle houses the Trakai History Museum. The exposition is installed in the central palace and covers the period from the oldest times up to the middle of the 20th century. It contains archaeological objects found in the castles of Trakai and in the town of Trakai.
The photos displayed on this page are the property of one of the following authors:
This travel guide also includes text from Wikitravel articles, all available at View full credits
This travel guide also includes text from Wikipedia articles, all available at View full credits