Sitting quietly on the top of a hill, the palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the Seven Wonders of Portugal. It dates back to 1839 when when King Consort Dom Fernando II bought the ruins of the Hieronymite Monastery of Nossa Senhora da Pena, and transforming it to the castle that is today. In 1910 the Palace became a national monument and was transformed into a museum and in 1955 the Palace became a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The photos displayed on this page are the property of one of the following authors:
This travel guide also includes text from Wikitravel articles, all available at View full credits
This travel guide also includes text from Wikipedia articles, all available at View full credits