The church consists of three buildings: the first one was built in the 10th century, then a second one was added in the 13th century and a third church was built at the beginning of the 19th century. Its frescoes dating back to 1259 are what made this church world famous and put it on the UNESCO World Heritage list. There are seven layers of paintings on the walls, dating from different centuries, starting with the 11th and to the 19th century. The most exceptional are considered to be the ones from the 13th century. There is a total of 89 scenes with 240 human images on the walls of the church.
The church is now under the management of the National Museum of History and has suffered restoration works during 2006-2008. It has been modernized with air conditioning and special systems for maintaining the frescoes and also visitors are only allowed 15 minutes for entries. The church can be visited every day from 9.30 am to 5.30 pm.
The photos displayed on this page are the property of one of the following authors:
This travel guide also includes text from Wikitravel articles, all available at View full credits
This travel guide also includes text from Wikipedia articles, all available at View full credits