The shape of the square is oval, resembling to a stadium, because it used to be one, built by emperor Domitian in 86 AD. In the 15th century, the stadium was paved and it became the square that it is today.
The largest of the three fountains found in Piazza Navona is the Foutain of the Four Rivers (Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi). Situated right in the center of the square, this is the main attraction. The fountain represents the four major rivers of the world known at the time it was built (1651): the Nile, Danube, Ganges, and Plate.
At the northern end of the square lies Neptune Fountain (Fontana di Nettuno), built in 1576 by Giacomo della Porta. Only the basin part was constructed at this time, Neptune and the sea nymphs being added 300 years later.
Giacomo della Porta also built the Moor Fountain (Fontana del Moro) situated at the southern end of the square. The basin is made out of rose coloured marble. Originally, the statue had a dolphin in the center, surrounded by four Tritons, and in 1653, the statue of the Moor was added. In 1874, during a restoration, the original statues were replaced with copies and the originals were moved to Villa Borghese.
Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone lies in front of the Fountain of the Four Rivers and it's construction started two years after the completion of the fountain. The church was design by Borromini, Bernini's main rival.
The photos displayed on this page are the property of one of the following authors:
This travel guide also includes text from Wikitravel articles, all available at View full credits
This travel guide also includes text from Wikipedia articles, all available at View full credits