The two fountains, Le Fontaine des Mers (Maritim Fountain) and Le Fontaine des Fleuves (Fountain of the Rivers), were completed in 1840, during the reign of King Louis-Philippe. One commemorates the maritime commerce and industry of France, and the other commemorates navigation and commerce on the rivers of France. They both feature a stone basin, six figures of tritons with fish spouting water from their mouths.
The gravity system that pumped the water originally was replaced with pumps in the 20th century, which recycle the water.
The photos displayed on this page are the property of one of the following authors:
This travel guide also includes text from Wikitravel articles, all available at View full credits
This travel guide also includes text from Wikipedia articles, all available at View full credits