Chateaudun Castle is the first one you'll see on the road from Paris to the other chateaus of the Loire Valley.
The original castle was built between the 12th and 16th centuries and between 1451 and 1493 the Saint Chapel was added. It was built on top of a cliff so that it would offer a view of the entire Loire Valley.
The three main points of interest are the Dungeon, the Saint Chapel and the Dunois wing. The Dungeon is the oldest and best preserved part of the castle, built in 1170. The walls are four meters thick and 31 meters high. The chapel contains about fifteen statues representing different Saints, and a fresco describing the scene of the Last Judgment, dating since 1493. The construction for the Dunois wing started in 1459 and it took nine years to complete it. It has five floors and some elements of Gothic style.
The photos displayed on this page are the property of one of the following authors:
This travel guide also includes text from Wikitravel articles, all available at View full credits
This travel guide also includes text from Wikipedia articles, all available at View full credits