One of Gaudi's masterpieces, with a remarkable design, evoking the marine life on the outside and with a surprising architectural detail at each corner. In 1900 the owner of the building at number 43 Passeing de Gracia commissioned Gaudi for some works. Even though the initial plan was to demolish the property, finally it was decided for a renovation. The facade was given a new face and the first floor of the house, where the Batlló family lived was given a new distribution. And so an ordinary house built in the 19th century became one of Barcelona's landmarks.
Today the house is privately owned and continuously efforts are being made for its restoration. In 2004 it received the European Union Prize for Cultural Heritage and it is also on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 2005. You can visit the house everyday from 9am to 8pm (during 8, 15, 23 June it's open until 2pm).
The photos displayed on this page are the property of one of the following authors:
This travel guide also includes text from Wikitravel articles, all available at View full credits
This travel guide also includes text from Wikipedia articles, all available at View full credits