The ruins of the castle were bought in 1456 by Jean V de Bueil, a captain-general of Charles VII who began its reconstruction in the mid 1460's. The castle has many towers, roofs and chimneys, and white stone walls with blue roof. With the Forest of Chinon in the background, it offers a beautiful sight from the banks of the Loire Valley.
The castle has quite a tranquil history, compared to others. It is believed that it's beauty and design inspired Perrault when writing his famous story, “Sleeping Beauty”.
Inside the castle's walls there is an open courtyard and beautiful terraced gardens, with views over the valley.
The photos displayed on this page are the property of one of the following authors:
This travel guide also includes text from Wikitravel articles, all available at View full credits
This travel guide also includes text from Wikipedia articles, all available at View full credits